From Youth Mental Health to Young Adult Independence
The System of Care – Bridges to the Future has been serving youth and young adults (Y/YA) with mental challenges and their families for the last year. Bridges pairs a transition coordinator and a peer support specialist with Y/YA and together create a youth-directed support team (family, friends, mentors, teachers, as they identify them). A future transition plan is developed to identify strengths and needs, set SMART goals and objectives, create a wellness plan, keep motivation and celebrate successes.
Bridges believes that achieving success in important domains of youth and young adult lives; like education, work, stable housing, transportation, relationships can be very daunting. Many of the Y/YA we serve have become system “weary” and “wary” and have no interest in being a part of a system designed and run by adults. Bridges provides outreach, engagement and builds trusting relationships with Y/YA as a first step in the Bridges Initiative. Participants receive friendly, developmentally appropriate care coordination of services and supports including but not limited to:
- Coordination and connections to resources
- Provide positive youth enhancement activities
- Help youth prepare and obtain education and/or work
- Guide youth to achieve independence and life skills
- Assist youth in building and maintaining social connections and natural supports
- Help youth access any care needed regarding behavioral health needs
- Support families during Y/YA’s transition into adulthood
Come to the OPEN HOUSE to meet our staff, our partners and find about our computer lab, homework help, life skills cooking and sewing classes, music and art expression, social activities and lots more!
Open House at the NEW Bridges to the Future location
February 20, 2019 from 3:00pm – 7:00pm
Colesville Professional Center
13321 New Hampshire Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20904